9.75" x 7.5"
Welch, Margetson & Co. Ltd London
Scroll Down for (34) Additional Scans:
Welch, Margetson and Company, a firm of menswear manufacturers specialising in shirts, collars, silk handkerchiefs, silk neckties, scarves and braces, was established in 1832. It was one of the first companies to introduce an in-working factory arrangement for the making of shirts. In 1847 the first Londonderry factory was opened, followed by Carlisle Road factory, Londonderry, in 1876. A tie factory was built in Bermondsey in 1890, to which the production of all other company products moved in due course. Early in the 20th century a factory for the shirt, collar and tie trade was opened in Melbourne, Australia, and in 1911 a limited liability company was formed, Welch, Margetson and Company (Overseas).
Welch, Margetson and Company became a public company in 1948 and was taken over by Viyella International Limited in 1968. During the early 20th century there was a company social club called the Crownfield Sports and Social Club. The Martus Fifty Club, a social club for employees who had completed fifty years with the company, was formed in 1949.
The company was based at 7 Farringdon Street (1832-5), 132 Cheapside (1836-43), 134 Cheapside (1844-9), 17 Cheapside and 46 Old Change (1850-7), 16-17 Cheapside (1858-98), 16-30 Moor Lane (1899-40), 5 Warwick Street (1943-63) and 237 Long Lane, Bermondsey (1929-).